Saturday, August 21, 2010

The End of the Expectations and Beginning of the News

Great Expectations... Check. Alot better then I thought for sure, I spent the last few nights with it just marveling at how much information was at the start of the story that I had written off as much about nothing that actually completely tied into everything in the end of the story. Not one loose end, not one piece of description that didnt belong.

I do however wish Charles would have given more information on the aftermath with Pip and Estella. I guess every story can't turn into a romantic love affair, sometimes you just have to make it up yourself.

Now I am into the Shipping News by Annie Proulx. I am loving that I am finally reading a book that is based in Canada but for something that is Pulitzer Prize winning I would love to know who hands out those prizes. I know it is a movie that also supposedly did very well, I think I may have to rent it because I have a hard time following how this book is written. The main character thinks in headlines so in the middle of reading the written conversation between two characters there is always a break along the lines of "picks up coffee", conversation conversation conversation, "coffee gets cold." ***note I am not directly quoting from the book please dont freak out about plagiarism.

I like the main character because he is kind of a dink, Quoyle... oh you loveable screw up. My family is from Newfoundland which is where this book is based. The author makes the characters and the people who live on the coast completely barbaric fisherman, and the towns seem like run down little holes in the ground. I hope her opinion of this country gets better throughout the pages of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment