Monday, August 30, 2010

The Shining- on to number 18.

Finished up the Shining this morning, and as I have never seen the whole movie I can say that the book was better.

Reasoning for not seeing the whole movie? Kept getting bored and turning it off. The book is more vivid of what is happening in the Overlook hotel. It only took me the weekend to read it being almost 500 pages I thought it must have been pretty good.  I was actually turning the pages because I wanted to, not in hopes of something happening on the next one.

There were a few major differences in the book than the movie. The famous movie quote "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" is no where to be found in the book. Jack chases the family through the hotel with a roque mallet in the book, and an ax in the movie. Uttering "here's Johnny" also not in the book, but one of the most famous posters and quotes from a movie ever.

Also no maze in the book, yet it plays a huge part in the movie. I thought the book was amazing, and am glad it was on the list because I doubt I would have read it if it hadn't been for that. Maybe I will find some more diamonds in the rough on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment